Review of Puffinalia Miracle Mold

I just got a sample kit of the Puffinalia Miracle Mold compound. It is a two-part room-temperature-vulcanizing (RTV) silicon-like product. It is sold in different quantities. I am reviewing the 2 oz. sampler kit here, as it relates to action figure part casting.


I recieved my Sampler Kit within one week of ordering and paying through PayPal. The Puffinalia rep was very friendly and easy to deal with.

One of the first things I noticed when I opened the containers is that neither component has any noticeable odor. Being used to the toxic fumes from super glue, primer, epoxy clay, and various molding/casting compounds used in customizing, I was pleasantly surprised. Both components have the consistency of very soft chewing gum, and are slightly oily. The only obvious difference between the two components is the color.


For my initial experiment, I decided to make a mold of a 5" scale Spawn head. It was probably not the best choice for testing detail capture, but it was handy and disposable.

I mixed up equal amounts of Part A and Part B. It was easy and only took a minute or so. I did it with bare hands, and have not yet suffered any ill effect. I covered the head with a light dusting of talcum powder to help prevent sticking, but I don't think it was really necessary. Per the instructions, I plopped the blob on a flat surface and then pressed the head into it, face first. The mold set up in about 15 minutes, but I waited 30 just to be sure. The head was easily removeable.

To complete the mold, I put the head back in the mold. I then mixed another small batch and pressed it onto the back of the head and around the first mold, making a one-piece mold. I let this set up another 30 minutes, and removed the head with a little bit of effort. The mold seemed pretty strong, but was still flexible enough for me to get the chin past the mold neck-hole.


Then came the true test - how well would this stuff capture detail? I had two main concerns. First, was the Miracle Mold fluid enough to sink into all of the crevices? Second, did I inadvertently get any air pockets when pressing the stuff onto the head?

As you can see from the pictures on the right, it came out reasonably well. The cast had some very small, bubble-like protrusions, but they were small enough that they could be sanded out easily. This surface roughness may have been due to my hasty preparation of the liquid casting plastic. The part came out of the mold relatively easily, even with the undercut on the chin.



My overall impression is that this is a very user-friendly product, that has pretty good application for action figure part casting. The upsides are that it is easy to handle, non-smelly, sets up quickly, accomodates some undercuts, and does not stick to the part or cast. On the downside, I had to make a psuedo two-part mold to ensure that I captured the detail since this is not a pourable medium. The detail rendering is probably not quite up to the pour-mold variety, but might be improved with a little practice.

It quite pricey at $50/lb, about 4 times that of similar Smooth-On products (OOMOO 30 1:1 Tin Cure Silicon Rubber and PoYo Silicon Mold Putty). I should say that I have not used either of these Smooth-On products. However, the 2-part Smooth-on mold rubber that I have set up in the containers after one year, rendering it unusable. So, I am a little hesitant right now about ordering more Smooth-On products. The price may be a no-go for me on the Puffinalia.


Created 10/09/02. I am in no way associated with Puffinalia.